Benny Westlake Jr.
NANA Regional Corp
P O Box 49, Kotzebue
Regional Elders Council
P.O Box, Ambler, AK 99786
P O Box 51, Kotzebue
Alaska State Troopers
P O Box 669, Kotzebue
Chief Roger Rouse
City of Kotzebue Police Dept
P O Box 550, Kotzebue
P O Box 256, Kotzebue
Public Resident I
Public Resident II
Kiana, AK 99749
Ex Officio Mayor NWAB
Nathan Hadley Jr.
Ex Officio President Assembly
Josiah Patkotak, Representative
Ex Officio Alaska State Legislature Rep State Capitol Room 102
Juneau, AK 99801
Ex Officio Alaska State Legislature State Capitol Room 514
Juneau, AK 99801
The borough public safety commission, hereafter called the “NABPSC,” is established in order to improve all aspects of public safety and law enforcement for the people of the borough by identifying public safety needs. identifying resources available, and to establish and implement strategies and comprehensive plans to meet those needs. (Ord 17-17 § 1, 2018; Ord. 13-06 § 1, 2013; Ord. 06-03 § 2, 2006; Ord. 03-04 § 1, 2003; Ord. 02-04 § 2, 2002)
The NABPSC shall perform the following functions:
A. Review and make recommendations on all aspects of public safety and law enforcement that come before the assembly and the mayor’s administration;
B. Identify and promote services designed to encourage public safety and law enforcement in local communities and enforcement agencies within the borough;
C. Collect and distribute information relevant to the identified borough public safety and law enforcement issues;
D. Coordinate between government of all levels, agencies, and the borough residents in implementing public safety and law enforcement activities, including enforcement of the borough code;
E. Recommend, review and monitor strategies, policies and standards for the development and maintenance of safe trails, roads and other routes of transportation;
F. Adopt reasonable rules and procedures for the conduct of its meetings;
G. The NABPSC shall present to the assembly and mayor a five-year comprehensive plan to address public safety and law enforcement issues identified by borough residents as well as an annual report outlining a yearly strategy to implement the plan, including requests for funding of NABPSC activities. (Ord. 17-17 § 1, 2018; Ord. 13-06 § 1, 2013; Ord. 06-03 § 3, 2006; Ord. 03-04 § 1, 2003; Ord. 02-04 § 2, 2002)
A. The NABPSC shall be organized as follows:
1. One member nominated from each of the following: Northwest Arctic Borough, NANA Regional Corporation, Maniilaq Association, Regional Elders Council, Northwest Arctic Borough School District, Alaska State Troopers, and the city of Kotzebue police department. There shall also be two public members nominated to serve on the NABPSC.
2. The mayor, the assembly president, and the regional representative and senator currently serving in the Alaska State Legislature may participate in NABPSC meetings as ex officio nonvoting members.
B. When appointing NABPSC members, the mayor and assembly shall consider the following: the ability and character of members to represent the borough as a whole, the necessary expertise to identify public safety needs, identify resources available, and to establish and implement a strategy and comprehensive plan to meet those needs. Candidates with past felony convictions will not be considered unless they have been pardoned or otherwise had their convictions expunged from the official criminal record. A commissioner charged with or convicted of a felony while a member of the NABPSC shall be ineligible to continue to sit on the NABPSC.
C. Other than ex officio members, upon request, each member shall receive compensation at the rate established by NABC for each meeting day of the commission attended unless that member otherwise receives compensation from their member organization. Compensation shall be paid at the rate established by NABC per day of attendance at a convention, conference or similar gathering. Compensation does not include per diem which may be paid separately. (Ord. 18-09 § 3, 2018; Ord. 17-17 §1, 2018; Ord. 13-06 § 1, 2013; Ord. 06-03 § 4, 2006; Ord. 03-07 § 2, 2003; Ord. 03-04 § 1, 2003; Ord. 02- 04 § 2, 2002)
The chair shall preside at all meetings of the NABPSC. The chair has the authority to create, appoint, and discharge committees subject to the approval of the NABPSC, call meetings, and retains the right and the responsibility to partake in the deliberations and voting on all matters. In the absence of the chair, the vice-chair has these authorities. (Ord. 03-04 § 1, 2003; Ord. 02-04 § 2, 2002)
Committees of the NABPSC may be established by the chair, subject to the committee and its membership being approved by the NABPSC. All committee meetings are subject to compliance with the Open Meetings Act. (Ord. 03-04 § 1, 2003; Ord. 02-04 § 2, 2002)
- Regular meetings of the NABPSC shall be held at least once during each quarter of the year. Such meetings shall be scheduled by the chair and are subject to the Open Meetings Act. Special meetings of the NABPSC may be called by the chair or by the vice-chair in the chair’s absence, or by written request of any three members. Each commissioner shall be entitled to one vote on all matters brought to the NABPSC. All voting shall be recorded. A quorum for the transaction of business shall consist of at least six of the members of the NABPSC.
- All meetings of the NABPSC shall be open to the public and reasonable notice of such meetings shall be provided.
- Meeting minutes shall be prepared by the borough clerk to provide a complete record of actions by the NABPSC. Minutes shall be validated by the signature of the chair. (Ord. 03-04 § 1, 2003; Ord. 02-04 § 2, 2002)